Full course description
Acknowledging the ever growing demand for wound care services in all health care settings, the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses (WOCN) Society developed the Ostomy Care Associate (OCA) Program to:
- Educate and prepare more skilled ostomy care providers across all health care settings.
- Enhance nurses’ ability to provide optimal care for patients with ostomies.
- Equip the non-specialty nurse with the ability to provide optimal care for patients with ostomies under the direction of a supervising WOC specialty nurse (i.e., WOC registered nurse, WOC graduate-level prepared registered nurse, WOC advanced practice registered nurse); a physician, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner; or a clinical nurse specialist (experienced in ostomy care).
The OCA course must be completed in 12 weeks. Successful completion of the course requires attendance at an Applied Learning Day to demonstrate select clinical skills. Applied Learning Days are offered approximately one day per month at Emory University in Atlanta, GA. The dates are prescheduled. Alternatively, students can make arrangement with a WOCNCB certified ostomy care nurse in their area who has been approved by the WOCN Society to serve as an OCA Clinical Instructor. Please confirm your plans for the Applied Learning Day prior to enrollment. Contact Lori Borja at email@example.com for further details.
- Licensed health care providers:
- Non baccalaureate RNs.
- Baccalaureate or Master’s prepared RNs who do not wish to specialize but want more knowledge in ostomy care.
- Physicians and other licensed clinicians who want adequate knowledge in ostomy care.
The WOCN Society is an accredited provider of CNEs through the ANCC. Any licensed nurse is eligible and will receive 27 contact hours upon successful completion of the Program.
All other participants will obtain a certificate upon successful completion of the Program.
Please confirm your plans for the Applied Learning Day prior to enrollment. After enrollment, allow 72 business hours for your enrollment to be processed. Once your enrollment has been processed, you will receive an email with directions on how to access the online content.
Need Help with Registration? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-727-9208.